Guidelines for Patients Seeking Hair Transplant During COVID-19
For months, the COVID-19 pandemic essentially brought all elective surgeries and other procedures to a halt. Everything from knee surgeries to colonoscopies to cosmetic procedures were put on hold. Hair transplant surgeries were no different. But medical practices, including the Miami Hair Institute, have since reopened and resumed scheduling and conducting long-delayed surgeries.
Guidelines For Hair Restoration Physicians and Practices
However, hair restoration physicians have needed to update the protocols, policies, and procedures involved in hair transplants in order to ensure the health and safety of patients and staff. To that end, the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS)—the world’s premiere authority on hair loss and hair restoration— has established guidelines for resuming hair restoration practices. and provided patients guidance in finding hair restoration clinics deemed “COVID-protected facilities.”
As the ISHRS stated in announcing the practice guidelines:
“The ISHRS’s general recommendations for practice reopening includes following members’ national/local governmental health authority guidelines, practicing strict social distancing and using appropriate PPE, masks and sanitation. ISHRS members are also advised to adhere to strict universal precautions for infection control and utilize comprehensive COVID screening tools and laboratory testing before patients can enter practices.”
At the Miami Hair Institute, the health and safety of our patients is our top priority. We adhere to ore exceed all requirements and recommendations established by the ISHRS, CDC, and state and local authorities when it comes to our facilities, processes, and surgical procedures.
Guidelines For Patients
In addition to its recommendations for hair transplant surgeons and hair restoration practices, the ISHRS has also provided patients with important guidance they can use as they look for hair restoration clinics and schedule transplant surgery.
Specifically, the ISHRS recommends that hair restoration patients do the following:
- Know Your Health Status
- Follow Personal Protection Guidelines
- Look For A Clinic That Is A “COVID-Protected Facility,” which is one that:
- Routinely asks patients for a relevant COVID-19 history of their own health and their contacts. It is important that patients provide accurate information.
- Follows social distancing guidelines by limiting contact of patients with one another whether in consultation or in a procedure and will arrange waiting room seating accordingly.
- Uses suitable equipment/PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) or another equivalent governmental agency.
- Routinely uses relevant health histories and daily temperature monitoring of all clinic staff and patients as part of their strategy to prevent contagion. Additionally, and where available, follows all government guidelines on use of testing to monitor staff.
- In addition to using proper PPE, it uses appropriate cleansing, disinfecting and sterilization procedures throughout the office/clinic. Also, uses proper waste disposal methods for any materials that could be contaminated.
- Advises patients of handwashing protocols in the office/clinic and how to change gloves, gown and masks.
- Assures the public that the staff have received additional training with regards to proper COVID-19 infection control methods.
The Miami Hair Institute Remains Committed To Helping Our Patients Through These Difficult Times
As noted, the Miami Hair Institute is committed to ensuring protecting the health of our patients and staff and is a “COVID-Protected Facility” according to ISHRS guidelines. During this time, we continue to help our clients address their hair loss issues safely and effectively through our advanced hair restoration surgical techniques, technology, and alternative non-invasive treatments.
To receive your personalized evaluation and treatment plan, contact us online or call our office directly at 305-925-0222. We offer both virtual as well as in-office hair transplant consultations.