When you notice signs of hair loss, what type of doctor should you see? It’s a common first question for nearly every man or woman who first notices signs of thinning, balding, or shedding. Hair loss treatment is a multi-million dollar business, and it seems there’s no end to the number of different specialists, shampoos, and pills that promise to restore areas of balding scalp. Selecting the right physician will make it easier to get an accurate hair loss diagnosis from the start, which will provide the framework for an efficient treatment regimen.
Before taking a closer look at the different types of doctors who are capable of telling you more about your hair loss, it helps to explore a few of the most common reasons why men and women lose their hair. With the following causes in mind, it becomes easier to see why certain specialists are more capable of providing an expert diagnosis than others.
A few reasons for hair loss include:
- Lifestyle stress
- A stressful event (triggering telogen effluvium)
- Poor diet
- A skin condition
- Prescription medications
At our Institute, we assess each of these factors with comprehensive methodology. Our surgeons implement the most advanced technologies available to get to the root of your hair loss and develop a personalized treatment plan.
The results speak for themselves. Click the following link to view images of real patients, before and after hair transplant procedures.
What Types of Physicians Can Treat Alopecia?
In truth, there are a few different types of physicians who might be able to provide a basic alopecia, or hair loss, diagnosis. The following professionals typically encounter patients who suffer with thinning, shedding, or balding hair.
Hair Stylists are among the first professionals to notice signs of hair loss. While these individuals are not licensed medical professionals, they can help you determine whether or not certain hard-to-see areas are receding, losing volume, or becoming thinner. It is recommended that you see a licensed medical professional if a stylist or hairdresser notices such signs.
Trichologists are professionals who have studied trichology, or the health of the hair and scalp. Not all trichologists are licensed medical professionals, however. For effective hair loss treatment, we recommend patients choose a hair loss clinic and/or licensed medical professional to ensure accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Endocrinologists are licensed medical professionals who specialize in the endocrine system, hormones, and the diseases that result from hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can often cause hair loss, so it is common for this type of physician to see patients who suffer with thinning, shedding, or balding. They do not specialize in hair restoration, however.
Dermatologists are licensed medical professionals who provide specialized care for the skin, nails, and hair. Physicians who are Board Certified in Dermatology are the most qualified to diagnose the root cause of hair loss and provide an effective treatment recommendation.
Why See a Hair Transplant Surgeon?
A hair transplant surgeon is a medically licensed dermatologist who has completed both medical school and a minimum 5-year residency, during which rigorous surgical training is completed. Here are a few reasons why patients should see a hair transplant surgeon for a hair loss diagnosis:
- Hair transplant surgeons are Board Certified in Dermatology, the only medical specialty with certified residency training in hair loss and scalp diseases.
- In addition to surgical hair restoration, hair transplant surgeons offer non-surgical methods of hair loss treatment that include medications (Rogaine®, Propecia®) and FDA-approved Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) devices.
- As a specialist, they keep up with new techniques and transplant technologies that continually improve patient experience and results.
- Surgeons can also be members of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, an internationally-recognized organization of more than 1,000 elite surgeons in over 60 countries worldwide. ISHRS is committed to advancing the highest standards of medical treatment and ethics, ensuring hair loss sufferers always receive professional hair loss treatment and an unparalleled patient experience.
Finding a Miami Specialist and Hair Loss Clinic
At the Hair Transplant Institute of Miami, we represent South Florida’s finest transplant surgeons, registered nurses, microscopists, and staff. We hold your pursuit of a full head of natural, healthy hair in the highest regard. To learn more about our Institute:
- Visit this page to learn more about lead surgeons Dr. Paul Rose and Dr. Bernard Nusbaum.
- Visit this page to learn more about hair loss evaluations in Miami.
Readers are also invited to call our front desk directly at 305-925-0222.