How to Relieve Scalp Folliculitis at Home
Irritation. Itchiness. Burning sensations. Hair loss. Any or all of these unappealing symptoms and more may mean you are suffering from a condition called hair folliculitis. Also called scalp folliculitis, this condition is common among both men and women. Luckily, there are several effective, affordable, and easy home remedies to relieve the discomfort and disruption of normal hair growth caused by scalp folliculitis.
Hair folliculitis is most commonly caused by the following:
- Contact/rubbing from tight clothing
- Damaged hair follicles (e.g. shaving irritation)
- Blockage caused by irritants like sweat, oils, and cosmetic makeup
Usually, the cause of your folliculitis determines the most effective treatment. For example, if a physician determines your condition was caused by a bacterial infection, an over-the-counter antibiotic is often the recommended treatment. Conversely, such medication would be a waste of money if irritation from shaving, clothing, sweat, or makeup were the culprits. That is why it is imperative to consult with a hair loss professional as soon as you notice any symptoms of folliculitis. He or she can evaluate your condition, determine its cause, and recommend the most effective course of treatment.
Many of those treatments are ones you can take care of without visiting a doctor. Here are a number of ways to relieve scalp folliculitis at home:
Antibiotics. As noted, folliculitis caused by infection can be treated with over the counter antibiotic oral medication, ointments, and washes such as benzoyl peroxide (Clearasil, Proactiv), chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), or Phisoderm.
Antifungal shampoos and washes. If fungus is the source of your folliculitis, antifungal shampoos such as Nizoral A‑D, available over-the-counter, will reduce and eliminate the source of your condition when used regularly.
Natural remedies. While medication and medicated shampoos are effective scalp folliculitis treatments, nature has also provided many ways to treat this condition. These include:
- Tea tree oil. Noted for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil can be applied to the affected areas of the scalp as an easy remedy. Just a few drops on a regular basis may be all you need to take care of the problem.
- Castor oil. As with tea tree oil, castor oil is effective at killing folliculitis-causing bacteria and also has the added benefit or relieving pain and itching where applied.
- Coconut oil. It should be clear by now that oils are an effective and popular way to address scalp folliculitis, and cold-pressed coconut oil is no different. You can massage it into your scalp every day or multiple times a day until the symptoms recede.
Folliculitis Diagnosis and Treatment in Miami
In addition to discomfort, scalp folliculitis can be a contributing factor to hair loss. If you believe hair folliculitis might be causing you hair to thin, recede, or bald, schedule a hair loss evaluation to learn more about hair loss treatment with world-renowned experts at the Hair Transplant Institute of Miami. Our surgeons, nurses, and staff represent the finest team in Miami. To learn more about treatment, contact our clinic at 305-925-0222.