If you want to stop your hair from thinning and take steps to restore a full, robust, and youthful-looking head of hair, the Hair Transplant Institute of Miami offers several effective surgical and non-surgical options for doing so. Our skilled hair transplant physicians can diagnose the underlying causes of your hair loss and develop a treatment program best suited to your particular needs. But short of professional treatment, here are 10 tricks you can use to make your hair appear fuller, even though such tricks may offer only temporary benefits and won’t necessarily stop your hair from thinning further:
- Stop smoking. If you smoke, your heart and lungs aren’t the only parts of your body which suffer. A study by the Harvard School of Public Health found that smoking can accelerate hair loss by increasing the levels of hormones which trigger hair loss and by constricting the blood vessels which supply needed nutrients to your hair follicles.
- Avoid heavy product. Heavy waxes and gels can make thinning hair look even thinner by weighing it down and making it appear flat. Add volume with products like mousse or sprays specifically designed to provide “root lift.”
- Put the comb down. Try using your fingers to style your hair and add volume instead of constantly combing and brushing, which can make your hair look flat and limp.
- Wash your hair. Don’t buy into the idea that washing your hair regularly can cause problems. Good regular-use shampoos – used regularly – can make your hair appear thicker, as dirty and greasy hair will appear flat on your scalp.
- Use hair-thickening shampoos. The name “hair-thickening”, when used with many shampoos, is a bit deceptive. Such shampoos don’t actually thicken your hair follicles but can do a good job of making your hair temporarily appear Hair-thickening or volumizing shampoos work by artificially swelling the hair shaft and depositing a thin film of the active ingredients on your follicles. Again, such effects are temporary and cosmetic; these shampoos don’t do anything to slow or stop hair loss.
- Blow-dry, but not too much. Blow-drying can add volume to your hair, but avoid using too much heat for too long as doing so can damage your hair’s natural proteins and make it brittle.
- Keep the sun at bay. Sunburn damages hair follicles just as it does the skin. It makes hair fragile and brittle and causes the scalp to produce superoxide, a substance which can cause hair follicles to switch from a growth phase to a shedding phase.
- Air dry. While blow-drying can also add volume, letting your hair air dry and styling with your fingers can add more texture as well.
- East more soy. Recent studies suggest that a molecule produced in the intestine when soy is consumed may block the effects of the hormone which triggers hair loss.
- Keep it short. It can be understandable to think that growing your hair longer would make it appear thicker, but the opposite is actually true. For men with thinning hair, a shorter cut will make your hair appear denser and keep peoples’ attention away from your thinning hair and on your face.
Schedule an Appointment for a Hair Loss Evaluation Today
At the Hair Transplant Institute of Miami, our skilled physicians diagnose and treat hair loss cases that can’t be reversed at home. Through advanced hair restoration surgery techniques and alternative non-invasive treatments, we can help patients suffering with hair loss.
If you’re ready to do something about your thinning hair, contact us online or call or office directly at 305-925-0222 to receive a personalized evaluation and treatment plan.